Technology-Driven Market Intelligence
Market intelligence is essential for manufacturers to recognize new opportunities and threats in today’s dynamic business environment. Technology- Driven Market Intelligence offers real-world market insights for new technology-based products and markets.
Small and mid-sized manufacturers (SMMs) are lean and often lack in-house resources to obtain market intelligence that is relevant to their specific technologies, capabilities, and goals, putting them at a disadvantage versus larger competitors. Unlike traditional market research, TDMI directly considers the technical and market viability of your asset and characterizes the associated opportunities and barriers. Through a structured process of desk research and expert interviews, TDMI can provide intelligence such as:
- Identifying and characterizing the markets, trends, value chains, competition, and companies of most interest and relevance to your company
- Detailing prevailing technical performance and user requirements, and assessing how well your asset meets or could meet those requirements
- Describing your best options for moving forward with development, partnering, and market entry
- Filling in other key knowledge gaps your company may have surrounding regulatory, intellectual property, or competitive issues
The DVIRC Difference
DVIRC’s TDMI service is conducted by researchers with technical and business expertise who focus first on understanding your company’s unique products, technologies, and capabilities. The team then searches for applications and markets with a potential need for your unique value proposition. We engage potential customers and experts to identify and validate opportunities, and capture strategic insights into customer needs, competitors, and emerging trends. Our team will keep you involved along the way, sharing insights and soliciting your feedback. At the end of the project, our team will deliver a presentation with key findings and actionable recommendations, including connections to any specific opportunities uncovered during the project. This service is provided by researchers from RTI International, which works with companies around the country through the NIST Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP).
Since 2009, the NIST Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) National Network has offered TDMI services to manufacturing companies throughout the country. A recent NIST analysis found that clients who engaged MEP Centers to conduct a Technology Scouting or TDMI project reported an average total impact of:
- $848,572 in new or retained sales
- $75,108 in total cost savings
- $382,586 in new investment; and
- 5.3 added or retained jobs