Value Stream Mapping, A3 & Principles of Lean
8:30am - 4:30pm
2905 Southampton Road Philadelphia, PA (map)
Value Stream Mapping – Whether a product is being produced or a service rendered, a value stream exists. Value Stream Maps provide a “birds-eye” view of the current steps in a process, from beginning to end, essentially providing a blueprint for a Lean Transformation. Mapping is a critical initial step in deploying a Lean business strategy because it clearly shows where the process could be improved through the application of other Lean techniques. This workshop shows you how to create and apply this fundamental and critical tool.
A3 Thinking – Once you have a visual representation of the improvement areas using a Value Stream Map, specific issues can be addressed using the A3 problem-solving method. Based on W. Edwards Deming’s method of P-D-C-A (Plan, Do, Check, Act), A3 requires a team to confine their problem/solution discussion to what will fit on an 11” x 17” sheet of paper, making simplicity and brevity key. The workshop will demonstrate that A3 is a way of thinking – not a report-writing methodology. Participants will learn the steps of effectively implementing the P-D-C-A cycle while building a report that reflects the results of the cycle. Students should bring a problem to class to use
during the exercises and take back a solution to be implemented.
Principles of Lean – This hands-on workshop focuses on the basic principles of Lean. Attendees will have an opportunity to experience how Lean principles are applied in a simulated production environment. The workshop simulation guides attendees through the transition from a traditional manufacturing approach to that of a Lean environment. Participants will see how waste is eliminated, productivity is increased, and companies can gain a competitive edge in the marketplace, while reducing costs and improving cash flow. Attendees will leave this workshop with a good understanding of how Lean concepts enhance performance for any type of organization.
- Learn how to create a Value Stream Map
- Clarify and visualize target areas for improvement
- Gain confidence in formalizing an implementation plan
- Learn how Value Stream Mapping can be used in all areas of your enterprise
- Learn to implement A3 using a real problem from your organization
- Learn how to simplify problem analysis
- Understand how to use P-D-C-A (Plan-Do-Check-Act)
- Formalize a plan and document problem-solving steps
- Develop problem solvers within your organization
- Gain an understanding of Lean and its advantages
- Learn how to identify and eliminate non-value-added activities