5S Visual Workplace
Use 5S to change the organizational plan of a business to limit the amount of time that employees search for the right tools instead of using them.
Organizations across all sectors can benefit from a transition to this philosophy and measurable results will be seen shortly after it is implemented.
What is 5S?
The 5S System is a series of activities designed to improve the organization and standardization processes in a workplace. The system is based on principles that were initially designed in Japan, as the five S’s stood for seiri, seiton, seiso, seiketsu and shitsuke. These Japanese terms used to describe the elements of visual control within an operation. The ideas were translated into a similar system for American businesses:
- Sort through and sort out all the tools and items in the work area and remove all unnecessary equipment.
- Set a specific order for the remaining items, create temporary location indicators and set limits.
- Shine and inspect through cleaning to determine quality of equipment.
- Standardize and share information by implementing easy-to-use visual displays and controls.
- Sustain the gains through self-discipline, training, communication and total employee involvement.
By creating a 5S workplace, an organization can easily understand how to limit waste on its operations, as the organizational method will help to highlight inefficiencies and potential areas for improvement.
Adhering to 5S methodology also helps a management team and employees learn the purpose behind each step and to evaluate how successfully each “S” had been implemented into the overall system.
Once the effectiveness of such an organization structure is demonstrated to workers it is likely that the philosophy will permeate throughout the company culture.
Manufacturers who have implemented 5S are:
- Improved quality
- Better work standardization
- Decreased changeover time
- Improved safety
- A reduction in storage costs, cycle times and machine down time
- Improved work environment and employee morale
To learn more contact us at 215-464-8550 or send email to email@example.com